Rest in Peace - Photos Used are Only to Pay Respect to those no longer with us

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Interesting Observation

Now don’t get me wrong, I feel sorry for any individual that is shot and killed. No one deserves to die at the hands of another, I mean what gives anyone person the right to decide whether or not someone should live or die. I do feel sorry for these two young white males, Dylan Ellis and Oliver Martin that were gunned down last week for no reason but what confuses me is the media attention that this shooting has gotten.

In my 28 years of living, I’ve seen many shootings be covered on the news, I’ve personally known people that have been gunned down but to this day I’ve only seen such heavy coverage of white shooting victims. I think back to Jane Creba and Viva Leimonis who were gunned down and were even in the paper a month after their death but then I think of black individuals that have been shot and killed, even innocent black individuals shot and killed but I didn’t see their story in the paper even three days later. The news talks about them probably for 2 days and then they kill the story.

I saw the mayor get on TV and share his condolences for these young men, but why do these men get all the attention? Is it because they’re young men who worked decent jobs and were apparently gunned down for no reason? Is it because they’re shooter is supposedly black? Is it because they seem to come from wealthy homes and had no problems with the law? I did notice that they repeated over and over how these young white males had no problems with the law. Maybe Toronto is not used to hearing white men being gunned down. We’ve gotten so used to hearing a black man has been shot and killed that they just tell the story once and then it’s over. Even black people have to admit, anytime we hear of a shooting, we immediately say in our heads, which black guy died now?

No one deserves to die but I think anyone that is shot and killed deserves the attention of everyone from the police to the media. Since these men were gunned down last week Friday, they’ve been on the news everyday and in the paper everyday since. The way the police are on TV everyday talking about this case, I guarantee it will be solved shortly. Now why don’t the police do the same with all the black murders that still remain unsolved? Only time will tell.